Workshops for Parents
It Takes Two to Talk
The It Takes Two to Talk Program is designed specifically for parents of young children (birth to 5 years of age) who have been identified as having a language delay. In a small, personalized group setting, parents learn practical strategies to help their children learn language naturally throughout their day together.
The It Takes Two to Talk Program teaches you, step-by-step, how to become your child’s most important language teacher. The program shows you how to:
- Recognize your child’s stage and style of communication so that you know which steps to take next
- Identify what motivates your child to interact with you so you’ll know how to get conversations started
- Adjust everyday routines to help your child take turns and keep interactions going
- Follow your child’s lead to build his confidence and encourage him to communicate
- Add language to interactions with your child to help him understand language and then use it when he is ready
- Tweak the way you play and read books with your child to help him learn language
- Change the way you speak to your child so that he’ll understand and learn new words
- A one free program orientation session (2 hours)
- An individual consultation session for each family
- 8-week training program, consisting of two-hour training session per week.
More Than Words® — The Hanen Program® for Parents of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder or Social Communication Difficulties
The More Than Words Program was designed specifically for parents of children ages 5 and under on the autism spectrum and with other social communication difficulties. Addressing the unique needs of these children, the program provides parents with the tools, strategies and support they need to help their children reach their full communication potential.
More Than Words does this by empowering you to help your child reach the following three goals:
⦁ Improved social communication and back-and-forth interactions
⦁ Improved play skills
⦁ Improved imitation skills
- 8 training sessions in small, personalized groups
- A pre-program consultation for you and your child with your speech-language pathologist
- 2 individual sessions with the child and his mother, the mother implements the strategies and the session is recorded for review with the trainer and makes recommendations about the correct application of the training skills acquired in the course